Digger's Notes from the Road

Travel, ideas, adventures, and mishaps, written down just for you.

Monday, April 03, 2006

HOMELESS AND WEALTHY

Not to brag, but I am now officialy making pretty phat bank (well... for a person whos only expense is food, anyway. Let me tell you, I eat some really, REALLY good food now adays). Making monely sounds like a good thing, but is actualy proving oddly frustrating. I feel like now that i have plenty of cash, it should be pretty easy to find a place to live.

This is not the case.

As my potential room mates and I are discovering, the saint george housing market is completely saturated by wealthy retirees from california. These people are drawn in droves by this areas, sunny, pleasant climate and the alure of escaping from the crowds and fast pace of the western coast for a "quiet, rurual" life.

What this means for us is that if you wish to find a place to live in southern utah, you must compete with litteraly thousands of people who:

a. Are from cali and thus are used to spending two grand a month to live in the hole under the sink in a crack house. Thus they consider a grand and a half a month for the same hole in st geroge a good deal.

b. Are retired and thus have absoloutely NOTHING to do except scan the internet looking for places in st george to rent, often snatching up homes within literaly minutes of the listing.

Consequently, I am still living on the streets, not due to poverty, but becasue of things like this:

(This really happened) Amber Hawk and I went to look at a newly listed appartment, decided we liked it, and immidiately started filling out the paperwork to rent it while still on the premisis (spelling? #*#@! spelling). While we filled out the forms, sitting INSIDE the pad, some people, found out about the place, and before were even done with the form, they had called the agent and signed a year lease. My head hurts.

Aside from homlessness, all is going well. I went on a camping trip yesterday night with some friends and got to sleep in a cave (which i am thinking semi- seriously about moving into rather than trying to navigate a housing market that won't take my money even if i ask nicely), and tenatively plan to spend this evening with the folks from the local RCA house trying to leap over the fence at the hilton in order to gain acces to the hot tub.

The girl sitting at the computer next to me has just mannaged to correctly identify my place of employment simply by sniffing me. She informs me that she used to work at Anisasi (one of Redcliffs sister/ competing companies) and the reek eminating from my general direction makes her wax nostaligic for her own days around the campfire.
I think i may need to do laundry again.
I love this town.
Digger

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM, Blogger David Reese said...

Digger,

Congratulations on having your employment identified by your scent. Reminds me of the days when people could identify my job just by the rank smell of "cub scout fear" that formed a dense cloud of terror-inducingness around me.

did i say "cub scout fear?" I meant "urine."

Thanks for the tips on the storytelling workshop. The evenings went really well, in that people were all telling stories by the end of the night, and I've basically condensed everything I know about storytelling into three points. Feel free to use this list.

1- Repetition.
2- Audience participation.
3- Grr! (A good time to include #'s 1 and 2, by making the audience make the "grr" sound. Then tell them that all the amazing folktales they could ever need are in the "GR" section of the library. This only works if there is a library that uses Library of Congress numbering in your town.)

ps- enthusiasm, whether it's about sitting quietly and deadpan, or jumping up and down. the other day i was at the united church of christ denominational headquarters, which are amusingly located in cleveland, apparently so they can conveniently protest the cleveland indians' racism, and there was one presentation, from the person in charge of youth and young adults, that had nothing but enthusiasm. Seriously, she didn't tell us anything at all about youth and young adults, but she was really enthusiastic. And it was the best presentation.

In other news, I'm almost done with my thesis! I'll be ready to hand it in my saturday, the fifteenth. The prospect of finishing a project that I started over a year ago is pretty freakin' sweet.

Good luck finding a place to live. Maybe you could be a houseboy for a California-exiled retiree. I'm looking into a co-op that looks cool for when I move to Chicago. After spending all this time in Oberlin, which is pretty much the co-op capital of the country as far as I can tell, I think I'm ready to live in one. Plus, these ones have people that aren't students that live in them, which I think would make it a lot better.

I'm really enjoying your blog. It's nice to know that your not dead a couple times a month.

Happy palm sunday! Finn, the dog that lives at Rachael's house, ate half of my palm. Also, my friend Caleb taught me a joke, where you say, "What day is it?" And they say "Palm Sunday!" and then you put your hand over their face. I like it because it has the same punchline as the interrupting starfish joke, and because I've just given you a joke that you won't be able to use for a year.

Ha-ha.

love,
David

 
At 10:50 PM, Blogger Digger G. said...

Congradulations to you on finishing your thesis!

I am glad to hear ur storytelling workshop went so well. Your list is rock star. (stupid kids at work have got me usin all kinds of goofy lingo). I am thinking about sending it to some friends at work.

btw: are you still thinking about going busking this summer?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home