Digger's Notes from the Road

Travel, ideas, adventures, and mishaps, written down just for you.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

ENTERPRISE

I love being in strange places, and Enterprise, Utah is deffinately one of stranger places i have stayed, in both senses. I have spent the last few days eploring this tiny metropolis in the desert, and by far the greatest thing about this town, or any town for that matter, is a barrel located in the general store/ gas station/ game room. From this barrel you can choose and purchase USED lassos. This town is AWSOME!
Unfortunately outside of the used lasso bucket there isn't much going on here. In the yard of every house there is either a shed full of dirt bikes, a corral with at least one pony in in it, or in the affluent part of town, both. From this I derrive that the major enterprise in Enterprise may be racing across the desert, probably to a town where something is acctualy going on.
The people are very friendly here. As I walked to the library today a pickup truck full of high school kids pulled up along side me. The kids inside were hooting and hollering. They poured out of the truck at me, four or five big farm kids all whooping up a storm. I was just about to break the biggest ones nose when he stuck out his hand and introduced himself.
They had never seen me in town, and since i was walking by myself, the figured i had to be new. So they stopped to... walk me to the library so i wouldn't be lonely. This gave me the creeps for some reason. A good old fasioned red neck brawl i was prepaired for. This degree of civility felt just plain wrong. Say what you will about country folk and mormons, but the citizens of Enterprise are some of the friendliest and least pretentious people i have ever met. I still get the willies thinking about that truck tho.
I would offer to post more about enterprise, but there is little more to say. There is a church, a hardwear store, a food store, and a resturant. The public library is so small they dont even have A book about the myths of the constelations. They were very appologetic about it, and offered me the new harry potter, which i promptly accepted.
I cant wait to get paid so i can get an apartment in a town where it takes more than five minutes to walk from one end of the paved sidewalk to the other. Still, enterprise is a nice place. There is just nothing to do. Unless you like racing ponies. Or dirt bikes.


5 Comments:

At 4:05 PM, Blogger David Reese said...

Digger,

I've always wanted a used lasso. So, when a pony or a dirtbike escapes, is there anyway to catch it, or has everyone sold their old lasso's to the gas station?

David

 
At 10:28 AM, Blogger D'Arcangelo said...

it sounds like a town from the blue highways book i'm reading...

(*checks index*)

oh. nope. there's an enterprise, alabama. and an enterprise mississippi. but no utah.

at least the city founders get points for being optimistic. the cocky bums.

 
At 4:56 PM, Blogger Digger G. said...

I dont know. It is odd that only used lassos are sold at the gas station. Perhaps people rope their escaping dirt bikes with new lassos. Then again, perhaps they just run to the gas station and pick up a used one cheap every single time something escapes. I will look into this.

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Chara said...

Amazing. Everyone keeps asking me where you are and what you're doing and I never know what to tell them. You've been really busy for a while now. Every time I go to Bockbuster or a mexican restaurant I look around for you- odd since I am now living in Nashville.

If you ever come through look me up- I'd be happy to cook you calzones (I've got this great recipe this really tall guy taught me) and let you sleep on my couch.

chara

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger David Reese said...

digger,

damn this blog. now i check it compulsively and assume you're dead if you don't post every week.

lo, i once thought it was a great idea, but now i rue it each time i arrive to find no more posts. woe, woe is mine and the "blogger" industry.

but seriously, how's it going?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home